Code for BTV loves to lend a hand in the tech community - especiallly when promoting equality and justice.
In the planning for this year's Tech Jam, someone came up with the idea of having a space set aside for women and non-binary folk who are techies to get together, have coffee, support eachother's tech goals, and share war stories from the tech trenches. The organizer for this project reached out to Code for BTV to ask for help - she wanted the space at Tech Jam to be more than a corner with a folding table and some folding chairs. She wanted it to be welcoming and comfortable. Maybe even "hip." Code for BTV stepped up!
Code for BTV worked with the organizer and we came up with a plan.
- Rent a U-Haul, bring it by our home base.
- Get a few helping hands from our circle of supporters to stop by first thing on the Saturday morning of Tech Jam.
- With permission from our partner, Big Heavy World, load up all of the hip and comfy furniture available at the Big Heavy World office to the U-Haul.
- Truck it over to Tech Jam and fill the feminist hackerspace with awesome.
- Organize a couple women from Code for BTV's circle of supporters to hang out at the hackerspace and both watch over it and be ambassadors.
- At the end of the day, bring it all back to Big Heavy World.
The plan went very well. Despite the very short notice to organize, the hackerspace took shape and operated all day on the Saturday of Tech Jam. Two of our newer members worked the space and used the time to come up with new plans for a better space next year.